The five steps of the portuguese methodology for the destruction of the built heritage....
photo: stolen from Ruin`Art
..the practice of step 3 at Praça Duque de Saldanha
1) The absence of maintenance for some decades.
2) After the last tenant left the building, the main door should be closed with an iron chain with padlock.
3) The opening of some windows to accelerate the process of decay.
4) Now is time for the removal of some tiles from the roof.
5) Finally if step 1, 3 and 4 is insufficient or slow, there is always the possibility of a “spontaneous combustion”
This methodology as been applied with plenty of success for some decades with the passive cooperation and understanding by the (in)competent Portuguese authorities.